Continuous Gas-to-Power Solutions
SustainPower’s continuous gas-to-power solutions are designed for clients who want to reduce their carbon footprint through the beneficiation of an organic waste stream or the desire to offset coal consumption through the use of natural gas.
Our highly efficient, world-class co-gen packages are designed for long term use and can support constant or varying loads in island, island-parallel or grid-parallel modes. Their use for combined heat and power generation (CHP) offers savings and quick pay-back periods through the increase of power & heat efficiencies in industrial processes. Combined heat & power generation can utilize as much as 90% of the energy contained in a gaseous fuel.
Combined Heat and Power (CHP)
Also known as cogeneration, CHPs offer a highly efficient power generation process which utilises close to 90% of the energy contained in a gaseous fuel. The high efficiency is reached by harvesting the mechanical energy from the generator and the thermal energy from the combustion process.
We supply any configuration, from open-set to fully-containerised for maximum mobility, protection, and durability.
Electrical power output from 100 kW to 2.5MW in a single package. Multiple packages can be synchronized to reach any size.
Proven, high-quality components from international and local suppliers designed, engineered, and assembled in South Africa.
Engine cooling and heat recovery system included as part of a package, or supplied separately for engine room applications.
SustainPower offers equipment rental and rent-to-own financing options, as well as power purchase agreements.
- Rugged product design for maximised mobility, protection and durability.
- CHP configurations available for natural gas, biogas, landfill gas, or LPG.
- Power output from 100kW to 2.5MW in a single package.
- Market-leading MOTORTECH CHP management system.
- Engine cooling and heat recovery system installed on top of CHP container.
- Standard 12-month product warranty on the complete package, including engine.
- CHP with additional exhaust gas heat exchanger for maximum heat recovery and / or steam supply.
- Sound attenuation and container fit-out per customer requirements.
- Turnkey solutions including gas treatment.
- Operations and Maintenance option including Lifecycle Service Plan.
- Complete project financing available.
- Rent-to-own financing options available.
What is CHP?
Combined heat and power (CHP) is a process that simultaneously generates electricity and useful heat from the combustion of a fuel. It is also called cogeneration, or it can be extended to offer cooling, in which case it is called trigeneration.
Cogeneration uses the heat energy of an engine to generate electricity and heat at the same time. Cogeneration qualifies as a highly efficient form of energy conversion which, when performed with gas engines, can achieve considerable energy savings compared to purchasing electricity and gas separately from the utility.
Efficiency of a CHP Plant
CHP plants offer a highly efficient power generation process which utilises close to 90% of the energy contained in a gaseous fuel. The high efficiency is reached by harvesting the mechanical energy from the generator and the thermal energy from the combustion process.
Benefits of a CHP Plant
Combined heat and power plants allow for the productive use of otherwise-wasted heat put off by the engine's water jacket & exhaust.
- Savings on total energy costs for the user.
- Improved efficiency of fuel use.
- Reduced emissions, and a reduced carbon footprint.
- Independence & security of power supply.
- The opportunity for carbon credit accumulation.
Clean & Renewable Fuels
SustainPower's clean energy solutions are designed for gaseous fuels only. We don not offer diesel, coal, or HFO solutions.